So I’m starting to understand the whole progression & evolution of building your fan base as an artist.
This has been my timeline to date…..
1. Friends & family come to as many gigs as possible and look at you with beaming pride throughout the whole performance and somehow miss all of your mistakes.
2. F&F go back to normal lives and are replaced by an older generation who really enjoy your stuff and give you lots of encouraging glances and pats on the back.
3. Kids start to dig your tunes and either stand still in adulation or show off and do dangerous tricks in front of you to get your attention. With kids being the most honest audience it feels like a massive win when you get them on side.
4. Grown ups (a loose term) start to make inappropriate: gestures, looks, comments, mating ritual dance moves …typically just on the other side of the mic. #notatallawkward
5. You start to amass haters & stalkers at an alarming rate. Both groups have a stunning disregard to socially acceptable behaviour yet one suspects should you ever reflect their attitude back on them they would bruise like a peach.
Can’t wait for step 6!!